Decorating with the color purple can be a challenge.
The first time I ever saw the color used successfully in a home was years ago on a visit to my niece. It was her first place—a little house she was renting—and she was in that exciting stage of finally having a home of her own and being able to decorate any way she wanted.
In her living room, she had a velvet sofa in a deep, rich eggplant. I was surprised. It was not something I would have ever considered buying. Yet, there it was . . . and it was gorgeous.
She used pale lavender and soft greens in the room and had candles burning in the fireplace (long before I ever saw the idea in magazines). On the windows were delicate, muslin drapes with soft ribbon tabs. The effect was soothing, peaceful, zenlike—which is exactly what my niece, an holistic psychotherapist, wanted.
Purple is a mysterious color often associated with spirituality. It has mystical qualities and a special, almost sacred place in nature. Lavender, orchid, lilac, and violet flowers are often delicate and considered precious. A purple room can boost a child’s imagination or an artist’s creativity. Deep or bright purples suggest riches and royalty. Lighter shades are more romantic and delicate. From pale to deep, the color never fails to intrigue.
Ways to use purple in your home
DIY Half-Table Console
- If you don’t have a table to use, scour flea markets. Damaged or worn tables will cost drastically less than their pristine counterparts.
- Unscrew the extension mechanism from the bottom of the table. Remove the part of the table you won’t be using.
- Sand the remaining part, then prime and paint it.
- Nail or screw a two-by-two-inch piece of wood to the wall at the height of the tabletop so that the edge of the table rests on the wood support.
- Screw through the top of the table to the wood support; fill the holes with wood filler, and paint over them.
From Martha Stewart Living, March 2000
Do you love the color purple? See my collection of all things purple on Pinterest. My boards are always changing as I add new and exciting things to them, so be sure to follow Our Empty Nest to get all the updates!