Total time: 40 minutes
- ½ (16 oz) box rotini, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen Florentine-Style vegetables, thawed
- ¾ lb rotisserie chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar Prego Creamy Cheddar sauce
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook rotini as directed on package, until al dente, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large fry pan. Add onion and celery to hot oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Saute until onions carmelize and turn translucent.
- Add vegetables and chicken to the onion and celery. Mix well.
- Pour cheese sauce over the top. Mix well, until chicken and vegetables are completely coated. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- When rotini is ready, drain, and add to cheesy chicken and vegetable mixture. Fold in gently to completely coat the pasta with sauce.Cover and simmer on low, stirring once or twice, until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with a shredded Parmesan.
This recipe is great for leftover chicken—just cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and use. The deli department at our local supermarket has great rotisserie chicken—cooked, tender and juicy, seasoned to perfection, broken into pieces, and ready to go. It makes preparing this dish quick and easy.
Skip the chicken altogether and you have a good cheesy vegetable side dish. In fact, add frozen corn or peas for more tastes and textures.
You can substitute the cheese sauce with your favorite. I use Prego Creamy Cheddar. It's nice and light, there's no sharp cheddar taste to it, and it's only 70 calories per serving.
When simmering your sauce, be sure it does not bubble up, boil, or burn. When the sauce is heated through and/or hot, turn the burner off, and keep the pan covered to keep it hot.
Be careful not to overcook the pasta. You want it firm, not soggy. The thing to remember about cooking any pasta is to cook it until it's al dente, drain—but do NOT rinse—and immediately add to your sauce.
Serve with a toss salad and Italian bread, thinly sliced and toasted, and spread with sweet creamy butter. So yummy!