Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons cotija (or feta) cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium until "shimmering."
- Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is toasted and golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in garlic; allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine toasted corn and remaining ingredients until well-blended; salt, to taste.
- Top with additional cotija cheese.
- Serve warm or at room temperature as a dip or side dish.
If you prefer, you can substitute the olive oil with 2 tablespoons of butter.
Keep an eye on the corn while it's sautéing. Let the kernels sit until the sugars caramelize and turn a deep, dark char; then toss and let them char again. You want the corn to char, but not burn. If the corn starts to pop, it's been cooking too long.
For a tasty variation, fold in some sliced or diced avocado.
Large corn chips work great for dipping and scooping up the goodness.